[Printing-architecture] Fwd: Upcoming IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group Face to Face and Job Ticketing

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:37:27 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul Tykodi <ptykodi at tykodi.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Subject: Upcoming IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group Face to Face and Job
Ticketing
To: blueroofmusic at gmail.com, till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Cc: twaugh at redhat.com

Hi Ira and Till,****

** **

At the last PWG Semantic Model working group teleconference on Monday
October 14th, 2013, we decided that we should send some personal
invitations to individuals and organizations, which might be interested in
discussing job ticketing interoperability. Where Open Printing developed
JTAPI, this subject is most likely relevant to some of your members. I am
forwarding you a copy of the e-mail note I drafted to invite people to
participate in a short job ticketing interoperability discussion at the
beginning of the Semantic Model meeting at next week’s PWF F2F. Please feel
free to share this information with your membership.****

** **

Thanks.****

** **

/Paul****

** **

I'm currently serving as the Vice-Chair of the IEEE-ISTO PWG Semantic Model
working group. The Printer Working Group recently submitted a position
paper on Job Ticketing in the Open Web Platform for a recently concluded
W3C workshop held in Paris, France (
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/global-publisher/ - see attached).

The paper forced us to describe in a few words what the PWG actually does
for the printing industry. As you will see in the attached PDF, we have
created a Semantic Model that “… represents both a consistent user
perspective of imaging services and a conceptual interface to imaging
services as well.”

I attended the recent Print 13 tradeshow and while at the show spoke with
representatives from the Ghent Working Group and CIP4 about our currently
active job ticket mapping activities. The consensus seemed to be that the
PWG efforts might serve as a catalyst to help a variety of standards
organizations to have some initial discussions about the future of job
ticket interoperability and what steps might be able to be undertaken to
improve interoperability. ****

** **

Some points to consider:****

** **

1. What the PWG has been learning over the past 12 to 18 months is that a
number of different printing workflow environments, which at some point in
their history collaborated with the PWG to adapt PWG semantics within their
specific environment, are now starting to see a need to exchange job
ticketing related information as part of a broader trend towards the
automation of business process elements into heterogeneous collaborative
workflow solutions.****

** **

2. In speaking with James Harvey, CIP4 Executive Director, at Print 13; he
mentioned that the current PWG job ticket mapping work might provide CIP4
with some potential benefit in their internal discussions about how to
better support their existing Web to Print option and in the future as they
investigate how to integrate JDF job ticketing with Cloud Printing
environments.****

** **

3. In the mobile printing space, the newly announced Mopria Alliance is
trying to help speed adoption of mobile printing solutions, which could
include submission of PDF documents from the mobile enabled network
ecosystem to production printing environments as well.****

** **

We will be having a short discussion about job ticketing interoperability
at the next PWG face to face meeting as outlined below:****

** **

The next PWG face to face meeting will be held October 22-24, hosted by
Ricoh at their facilities in Cupertino, CA.****

** **

10460 Bubb Road****

Cupertino, CA 95014****

** **

http://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/october_2013_cupertino.html****

** **

The PWG Semantic Model Working Group presentation is scheduled for 1:30 PM
to 5:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time on Thursday October 24th, 2013. ****

** **

One topic we are planning to discuss involves the general job ticketing
interoperability goals, which could potentially be pursued by the PWG
through its Semantic Model working group, in the event it was able to craft
cooperative working relationships with other standards organizations. The
discussion is scheduled to last for about 30 minutes and it will start a
few minutes after 1:30 PM (as soon as we complete the administrative
statements about how PWG meetings are conducted).****

** **

If you or any of your colleagues from Open Printing would like to attend
the PWG Semantic Model working group meeting in person or call-in, to
participate in the discussion and potentially put forward job ticketing
interoperability improvement ideas that you would care to share in a public
forum, we would greatly appreciate your input and participation.****

** **

Thanks.****

** **

Best Regards,****

** **

/Paul****

** **

[image: Description: header]**

*Paul Tykodi*
Principal Consultant****

Tykodi Consulting Svcs LLC****

Phone:****

(603) 343-1820****

3 Lowell Ave****

Cell:****

(603) 866-0712****

Dover, NH 03820****

Fax:****

(603) 343-1820****

USA****

E-mail: ****

ptykodi at tykodi.com****

www.tykodi.com****

Skype:****

Tykodiconsultingservices****

** **

Co-Chair               - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP Working Group****

Vice-Chair             - IEEE-ISTO PWG Semantic Model Working Group****

** **

This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and may be
privileged.****

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Tykodi Consulting
Services LLC ****

immediately by replying to this message and destroying all copies of this
message ****

and any attachments. Thank you****

** **