[Printing-architecture] cupsd crashes when Avahi is used

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Dec 5 18:48:42 UTC 2013

Till,

Based on the bug report, it sounds like this is an internal bug of Avahi.

The fact that a production build of a library is forcing an assert is troubling - it doesn't allow the caller to perform any recovery and IMHO makes Avahi totally unsuited to production use at all.

The fix on the CUPS side is easy - bundle mDNSResponder (Apache license) with Ubuntu and build CUPS against it.  For Avahi, we'll need to get someone from Avahi to look at the issue...