[Printing-architecture] Mainfeatures of cups 1.7.0

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Dec 11 00:54:35 UTC 2013

Franz,

On Dec 10, 2013, at 5:32 PM, Franz Pförtsch <franz.pfoertsch at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello cups 1.7.0 is out since 24th of october,
>
> the mainfeatures should be paid, PIN, and release printing and automatic support for data compression.
>
> at www.cups.org there is no detailed information about this features.
>
> I am very interested on these.
>
> are there any printing machines available which uses the compression features?

Yes, absolutely.  Most recent HP and many Canon/Epson printers support compression via IPP and the CUPS 1.7 IPP backend will automatically use it when compression is supported. Compression was first supported in IPP/1.0 and started appearing in consumer/small office printers over the last couple years.

PIN printing is based on PWG 5100.11:

    PWG 5100.11-2010: IPP: Job and Printer Extensions - Set 2 (JPS2)
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippjobprinterext10-20101030-5100.11.pdf

Paid and release printing is based on PWG 5100.16:

    PWG 5100.16-2013: IPP Transaction-Based Printing Extensions
    http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ipptrans10-20131108-5100.16.pdf

There are some high-end office machines that already support the PIN (job-password) functionality.  Release and paid printing through IPP is new and I am not aware of any shipping printers/software solutions that implement it (yet).