[Printing-architecture] Useful utility: cups-filter-check

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 17:26:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 18:17 +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Should we perhaps make this part of cups-filters?

Yes, sure -- or Michael Sweet's suggestion of enhancing cupsfilter would
also be fine. It's quite nice to be able to loop over all of the
configured MIME types though. I guess it can be done in a shell script
(reading *.types)... it just might not be very pretty:

grep '^[^[:space:]#]' /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.types | (while read t;
do set $t; echo $1; done) | sort

Incidentally, while playing around with it I noticed the only route from
application/vnd.adobe-reader-postscript -> application/vnd.cups-pdf is
via image/tiff. Is that intentional? I expect any printer capable of
handling PDF can also handle PostScript, and that path works fine at
less cost.

Tim.
*/