[Printing-architecture] Useful utility: cups-filter-check

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Dec 16 17:54:44 UTC 2013

Tim,

On Dec 16, 2013, at 12:26 PM, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> Incidentally, while playing around with it I noticed the only route from
> application/vnd.adobe-reader-postscript -> application/vnd.cups-pdf is
> via image/tiff. Is that intentional? I expect any printer capable of
> handling PDF can also handle PostScript, and that path works fine at
> less cost.

I'm guessing the reason for this is Adobe's stupid enforcement of PDF form content protection - some forms can't be processed by Ghostscript or Adobe's own PS distiller to generate PDF because of restrictions that are placed in the PostScript code.  But it is A-OK to RIP the content for printing/export to an image... :/

But yes, if the printer reports support for PostScript then application/vnd.adobe-reader-postscript should go to application/vnd.cups-postscript without a side-trip through TIFF and PDF...