[Printing-architecture] Useful utility: cups-filter-check

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 15:29:06 UTC 2013

On 12/16/2013 06:54 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Tim,
>
> On Dec 16, 2013, at 12:26 PM, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Incidentally, while playing around with it I noticed the only route from
>> application/vnd.adobe-reader-postscript -> application/vnd.cups-pdf is
>> via image/tiff. Is that intentional? I expect any printer capable of
>> handling PDF can also handle PostScript, and that path works fine at
>> less cost.
>
> I'm guessing the reason for this is Adobe's stupid enforcement of PDF form content protection - some forms can't be processed by Ghostscript or Adobe's own PS distiller to generate PDF because of restrictions that are placed in the PostScript code.  But it is A-OK to RIP the content for printing/export to an image... :/

For going this way I suggest to go

PostScript --gstoraster-> CUPS Raster --rastertopdf-> PDF ...

as first, imagetopdf/imagetoraster supports only single-page TIFF and
HPLIPs pstotiff filter only produces monochrome low-res TIFF for faxing.

rastertopdf needs to get created anyway for making CUPS a complete IPP
Everywhere implementation, as IPP Everywhere printers need to take PWG
Raster as input format. See

http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4266

> But yes, if the printer reports support for PostScript then application/vnd.adobe-reader-postscript should go to application/vnd.cups-postscript without a side-trip through TIFF and PDF...

Yes, this I already cover in cups-filters,
application/vnd.adobe-reader-postscript is converted into
application/vnd.cups-postscript through pstops, without PDF detour.