[Printing-architecture] ippusbd license

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 25 16:24:22 UTC 2014

Daniel,

Unless you plan on filing patents for the work you've done for IPP USB, the patent protections of GPL3 simply do not apply.  (and the reason why corporations don't like the GPL3 patent provisions is because they are overly broad - use GPL3 software and you may be giving away your rights to assert your patents, even for defensive purposes...)

Similarly, DRM is a non-issue - IPP USB involves no DRM and (I assume) you are not incorporating a blob or non-open code signing mechanism.  Any operating system mechanism falls under the "standard system library/service" clauses.

What may be an issue is future contributions - GPL2+ is generally OK but GPL3 will assure that few corporations allow their devs to help out for fear of "contamination".  Apache is not GPL3-compatible.  2-clause BSD and MIT are GPL3 compatible but don't prevent people from taking your work and doing something non-free with it.

So in my mind the best choices (the ones that will create the fewest problems long-term) are GPL2+ or BSD/MIT.

But perhaps the best people to ask are the lawyers at the various Linux distros - they are the ones that need to distribute your work, and if you choose a license they are not comfortable with then it won't be included in the distros.