[Printing-architecture] ippusbd license

Daniel Dressler danieru.dressler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 21:14:47 UTC 2014

Thank you Ira, and thank you for the support you have given me and
ippusbxd in the past.

Do you know of any printer vendors or OS interested in using ippusbxd?
I must admit I only expected ippusbxd to be used by the open source
distributions. I am not sure what changes need to be made to reuse
ippusbxd from the printer side.

Of the OSes which avoid GPLv3: Android, Chromeos, MacOSX, Windows. I
did not expect any of them to adopt ippusbxd. MacOSX alone has Michael
Sweet himself working on their ippusbd.

I would a company prevent their developers from testing against
ippusbxd? Under the GPLv3 if they download a compiled binary through a
linux distrobution, or an exe from a website, they have no
obligations. They only need to worry if desire to redistribute the
source or binary.

This is similar to what happens when you test against Windows or OSX.
The major difference here is there is atleast an option to
redistribute with GPLv3.

Daniel

PS: I would just like to re-iterate: my presentation at the
openprinting sumit/f2f will be licensed creative commons zero. Which
is a very liberal license which you can think of as the BSD of BSD
like licenses. Except in jurisdictions where authors are not allowed
to re-assign some copyrights the CC0 license is as close as we can get
to public domain.