[Printing-architecture] SLP (Service Location Protocol)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 20:36:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thanks Pete and Mike for clear answers Till's questions.

Because SLP will indeed wake the Printer up (just like any SNMP or
IPP query will), there needs to be an SLP Directory Agent on the
relevant network/subnet and the Printers need to advertise to the
SLP DA.

Then the CUPS browse daemon can:

(1) find Printers via DNS-SD / Bonjour (though this might wake up
the Printers - BAD idea).

(2) find and query the SLP DA to discover a list of Printers with all
of their SLP advertised capabilities (about 30 attributes - same ones
as the LDAP Printer schema - I wrote them both).

The print client can choose a Printer (from the combined Bonjour
and SLP discovery) and *then* use IPP to wake up the Printer and
read more capabilities and constraints for a rich print job submission
GUI.

Pete and Mike - does this seem like a viable middle ground to you,
where the relevant network may not have an LDAP server?

Cheers,
- Ira

PS - Mike, I've found SLP support to be common in network Printers
and also fairly common in small routers (like WiFi/ADSL ones).

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com