[Printing-architecture] Mopria

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Oct 1 13:48:57 UTC 2014

Till,

On Oct 1, 2014, at 9:38 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
> For IPP Everywhere it does not look so nice. The PDL TXT record only
> contains
>
> image/urf,application/PCLm,image/jpeg,application/octet-stream
>
> There is no PWG Raster.

Right, this printer does not conform to IPP Everywhere.

The Mopria Alliance print support in Android supports both PWG Raster and PCLm (HP's version of a streamable PDF raster format...), and P2P Print requires either PWG Raster or PCLm.

> The only language which looks like that it could
> be an open standard language with which a machine running Ubuntu could
> print on this device is application/PCLm, some kind of PCL. I have tried
> the following PCL flavors, but did not get any printout:
>
> - PCL 6/XL (Foomatic pxlcolor/pxlmono)
> - PCL 5c (HPIJS)
> - PCL 5e (HPIJS)

PCLm is a PDF-based raster format.  Unfortunately, the spec is currently only available via the Wi-Fi Alliance which means you need to either pay for it or become a member (in which case it is "free"...)