[Printing-architecture] Number of copies in pure PDF workflow

Alex Korobkin korobkin+op at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 20:23:59 UTC 2014

Hi Ira,

Thanks for your answer. Let me explain it with more details:

Example PPDs for pure PDF workflow are provided by printer manufacturers,
and they have "cupsManualCopies: true" set in them. Now, let's say a client
prints a job: lp -d mypurepdfprinter -n 3 myfile.pdf

As you can see, the number of copies will be passed to all the filters, but
only one copy will be printed if I set cupsManualCopies to false, because
filters don't seem to care about the number of copies in the pure PDF
workflow. At least, I don't see pdftopdf injecting anything but a comment,
nor backend filters setting a number of copies via IPP.

I guess it is a question about cups-filters package, not CUPS itself.

> Hi Alex,
>
> Processing instructions (such as copies) should never be embedded in PDF
> files anymore.
> On the wire, they should be in the IPP PrintJob or CreateJob request
> (i.e., job ticket).
>
> CUPS or other client should send "copies" through the CUPS filter
> chain.(so that client-side
> copies can be done, if the target printer does not support multiple
> copies).
>
> Mike Sweet - can you answer why cupsManualCopies PPD attribute is always
> set to "true"?
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
> Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
> Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
> Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
> Winter  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176  734-944-0094
> Summer  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434
>

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Alex Korobkin <korobkin+op at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking at example PPDs for pure PDF workflow, and all of them have
>> cupsManualCopies: true
>>
>> Why is that? Is it impossible to tell printer to print a number of copies
>> with pure PDF workflow?
>> Maybe pdftopdf can inject @PJL SET COPIES=X into the file?
>>
>> --
>> -Alex