[Printing-architecture] Projects for GSoC 2015: Implementing PWG standards

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 01:59:33 UTC 2015

Hi Till,

Inline in BLUE

Cheers,
- Ira

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to open some student projects implementing PWG and IPP
> standards, especially for the following three areas:
>
> 1. Printer maintenance
> ----------------------
>
> system-config-printer should get a printer maintenance part doing things
> like firmware update, ink/toner/consumable check, assign paper sizes/types
> to trays, ... The part should be completely based in standards to work with
> all conforming printers (IPP and IPP-over-USB).

<ira> The IPP standard for uploading firmware will only be in the
work-in-progress
IPP System Service (milestone of Q3/Q4 2015 for Prototype draft).
Actually doing
the reboot to the new firmware is currently just an idea of mine for a new
operation
in IPP System Service.

Not sure at all about assigning paper sizes/types to trays - certainly IPP
System
Service will only be able to READ (but not WRITE) summaries of Printer MIB
subunits (e.g. InputTray) - might be able to be done with IPP JPS3 by
setting the
"printer-input-tray", "media-source", and/or "media-source-properties".
- Mike?