[Printing-architecture] Projects for GSoC 2015: Implementing PWG standards

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jan 27 12:53:15 UTC 2015

Ira,

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 8:59 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
> <ira> The IPP standard for uploading firmware will only be in the work-in-progress
> IPP System Service (milestone of Q3/Q4 2015 for Prototype draft).   Actually doing
> the reboot to the new firmware is currently just an idea of mine for a new operation
> in IPP System Service.

There are a lot of security issues to address with firmware updates, and we'll need widespread adoption to make this useful.  On the consumer end of printers, most now offer updates via their control panels and/or web interfaces, and on the high end you need a service engineer to apply the update.

In any case, I don't see this as a GSoC 2015 project (2016?)

> Not sure at all about assigning paper sizes/types to trays - certainly IPP System
> Service will only be able to READ (but not WRITE) summaries of Printer MIB
> subunits (e.g. InputTray) - might be able to be done with IPP JPS3 by setting the
> "printer-input-tray", "media-source", and/or "media-source-properties".
> - Mike?

Yes, those are potentially READ-WRITE, assuming that the printer makes them so (most  don't).