[Printing-architecture] Projects for GSoC 2015: Implementing PWG standards

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:37:24 UTC 2015

On 27.01.2015 10:53, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Ira,
>
>> On Jan 26, 2015, at 8:59 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> <ira> The IPP standard for uploading firmware will only be in the work-in-progress
>> IPP System Service (milestone of Q3/Q4 2015 for Prototype draft).   Actually doing
>> the reboot to the new firmware is currently just an idea of mine for a new operation
>> in IPP System Service.
>
> There are a lot of security issues to address with firmware updates, and we'll need widespread adoption to make this useful.  On the consumer end of printers, most now offer updates via their control panels and/or web interfaces, and on the high end you need a service engineer to apply the update.
>
> In any case, I don't see this as a GSoC 2015 project (2016?)

OK, so my suggestions (1) and (3) are not (yet) suitable for a GSoC project.

WDYT about my suggestion (2), the SANE drier for IPP network scanners?
Is the standard already in a usable state? Are there already MF devices
with standard-conforming scanners?

Ira, what were your ideas of implementing PWG standards in GSoC projects?