[Printing-architecture] Projects for GSoC 2015: Implementing PWG standards

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:01:57 UTC 2015

Hi Till,

I'm not sure that there are recent IPP standards that are suitable for GSoC
2015
projects.

I have reservations about SANE, because it competes with new IPP Scan
Service,
but doesn't add any value (that I can see).

IPP Everywhere self-certification is moving forward, but slower than we all
hoped.

IPP Finishings 2.0, IPP FaxOut, IPP Scan are all good technology, but much
too
new to be widely deployed in shipping printers.

IPP MSN 2.0 (Media Standardized Names) does do important extensions to
media properties that would be worth reflecting in client print UIs, but it
might be hard to get
a student excited about more complete and accurate media properties.

IPP JPS3 (Job and Printer Extensions Set 3) is full of good stuff - high
value
new attributes include "ipp-features-supported", "job-contraints-supported",
"media-source-supported", "preferred-attributes-supported",
"printer-geo-location", "printer-get-attributes-supported", "printer-icons",
"printer-mandatory-job-attributes", and "printer-supply".  Many of these are
required by the subsequent IPP Everywhere spec, but it's IPP Everywhere
that will be the impetus for widespread adoption, I think.

We should talk about GSoC 2015 more after next week's PWG F2F meeting.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com