[Printing-architecture] PDF workflow, cupsaddsmb, and Windows clients

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 15:36:58 UTC 2015

Hi Alex,

I've copied Mike Sweet (Apple, CUPS) and Smith Kennedy (HP, all things
printing-related) on this reply.  I hope they can reply with more detail
about
Windows printing.

But I'd like to point out that CUPS PPD API was deprecated in CUPS 1.6
and PPDs in general are deprecated legacy in CUPS 2.0.  PDF workflow
in Linux, UNIX, and elsewhere is based on generic print clients using direct
printer queries for printer capabilities and current defaults (IPP
Everywhere).

PPD-based printing solutions are destined to disappear in the future.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com