[Printing-architecture] Contributing braille embosser support

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:29:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thank you very much for this great effort. This is really missing in the
Linux operating system.

I am looking into integrating it into cups-filters, but I would like to
have the following improvements on it:

1. PPD files: If there are different options, like LibLouis2, libLouis3,
... their name translations/long names should also be different, not
having "Additional Braille transcription" for all of them, but rather
"Additional Braille transcription (2)" for LibLouis2, "Additional
Braille transcription (3)" for LibLouis3, ... Otherwise it is rather
confusing having several options showing with the same name in a print
dialog.

2. Cluttering of /usr/lib/cups/filter/: This directory should only
contain the actual CUPS filters (executables called by CUPS in the
filter chain for a job. The auxiliary files should go into a separate
directory, like /usr/share/cups/braille/ (if there are no
architecture-dependent executables or libraries) or
/usr/lib/cups/braille (if there are architecture-dependent executables
or libraries).

3. Binary bytes in shell scripts: Some scripts, like
drivers/index/textbrftoindexv3 contain binary bytes. This leads to
problems with version control systems like GIT or BZR. Please avoid any
binary bytes in scripts or source files, generally in any file contained
in the source tarball. There are ways to express this with pure text. Or
do everything in C (this is even better), there are for sure ways to
avoid binary bytes.

I am grateful if you could fix that.

    Till