[Printing-architecture] Contributing braille embosser support

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 21:02:03 UTC 2015

On 12/10/2015 06:45 PM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Till Kamppeter, on Thu 10 Dec 2015 18:29:40 -0200, wrote:
>> I am looking into integrating it into cups-filters,
>
> Cool :)
>
>> 1. PPD files: If there are different options, like LibLouis2, libLouis3, ...
>> their name translations/long names should also be different,
>
> Sure, easy :)
>
>> 2. Cluttering of /usr/lib/cups/filter/: This directory should only contain
>> the actual CUPS filters
>
>> The auxiliary files should go into a separate directory, like
>> /usr/share/cups/braille/
>
> Sure, easy :)
>
>> 3. Binary bytes in shell scripts: Some scripts, like
>> drivers/index/textbrftoindexv3 contain binary bytes.
>
> Right. I'll use bash's $'\015' then.
>
>> Or do everything in C (this is even better),
>
> I had been wondering about turning these into C indeed, but the shell
> version seems to me easier to read and maintain actually.

OK, thanks. So please go ahead with the fixes.

And I am also grateful if you do the maintenance of your code when it is
in cups-filters as I do not know much about Braille embossers and also
do not have such a device available to me.

How are Braille embossers connected and how do they appear for the
computer? Do they work with the standard usb/parallel/socket/ipp
backends of CUPS?