[Printing-architecture] Status and future of the Common Printing Dialog (CPD)

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Sat Mar 26 18:19:10 UTC 2016

Thank you for your quick replies.

If neither GTK+ nor Qt are planning to support the CPD, this does not
sound like it had a very bright future.

Maybe it might be a good idea to add some note about the current status
in the CPD section on the website so that other people looking at it can
quickly get an idea of it.

Are there possibly other plans/ideas to provide a more consistent user
experience in printing dialogs across various applications?
The current situation with so many different printing dialogs (e.g. GTK,
KDE, LibreOffice, Java, several applications having their one one's,
...) that look differently and have a different set of features does not
seem optimal to me.

Also, from a developer's point of view it is non-optimal when adding a
new feature or fixing a bug potentially requires making that change
several times in totally different code bases (I only know LibreOffice,
Qt 4 and GTK)...

Best regards,
Michael