[Printing-architecture] Status and future of the Common Printing Dialog (CPD)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 19:31:23 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

Many thanks to GTK and QT folks for responding.

My comments are informal.  CPD was focused on large-screen laptops and
desktops and explicitly ruled out UI for smartphones.  That focus drew some
criticism at the time.

Before his retirement from EPSON, Glen Petrie did some excellent work
on a lightweight Common Mobile Print Dialog that was scaleable across all
mobile devices, screens, and input methods and specifically optimized for
small-screen smartphones and written in pure C (for portability).  The
design,
code, and presentations are archived on the IEEE-ISTO PWG FTP server at:

  http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/openprinting/common.mobile.print/

Till and I would both be delighted to see CMPD work resumed and completed.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com