[Printing-architecture] Status and future of the Common Printing Dialog (CPD)

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Sat Mar 26 22:19:13 UTC 2016

Hi Ira,

thank you very much for pointing me at the Common Mobile Print Dialog.

I have had a look at the presentation and the code. To be honest, I
currently do not understand much of it.
I was able to compile the Sample Mobile Print Client contained in the
"op.cmpc.64.bit.tar.gz" which is also shown on slide 17 of the presentation.

Not knowing much about Print Job Ticket and related topics, it seems to
me like the sample client mostly allows to set the values for the
different PrintJobTicket elements.

However, I currently cannot see where the other printing components
mentioned in the presentation come into play. Particularly, I cannot see
the connection to any "real" printing system/service so far.
(I did not yet have a closer look at the zip files on the server. At
first glance, they looked to me like they contained mostly
Windows-specific things - or at least the binaries were last built on
Windows...).

Not having understood much of it, I am currently not sure whether the
Common Mobile Print Dialog is actually an approach to target the
situation my organization is in (which would basically be quite
interesting to know before investing much time in something that may be
interesting but not really help us further...).

Background information:
Our organization is running a (K)Ubuntu-based distribution on several
thousand desktop clients. Various applications are using different print
dialogs (e.g. GTK, Qt4, LibreOffice, Java, ...).

Having various different print dialogs does not seem to be optimal from
the user-experience point of view and also is not from the maintenance
point of view (e.g. features and bugs have to be dealt with multiple
times, s. my last email).
In addition, the Qt 5 print dialog (which we will probably start using
with our release based on (K)Ubuntu 18.04) does currently not support
setting arbitrary PPD options (s. [1]). This is a feature we will need.

Not yet knowing whether the Qt community will "by itself" implement this
feature before we start the migration to Qt 5, I am currently thinking
what would be the best way to deal with it.

One idea that came to my mind was to take this as an occasion to
evaluate whether the use of the Common Printing Dialog (or something
similar) was an option (which could possibly also significantly improve
user experience and simplify maintenance). Another option would be to
implement this feature in Qt 5 (or probably rather have it implemented).
There may be other alternatives, but I wanted to get an assessment of
the CPD (or similar alternatives) before starting to think about other
ways more intensely.

The solution is currently not urgent (as we will probably have time
until 2018), but should be thought of in time.

Best regards,
Michael

[1]
http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2015-September/thread.html#18692