[Printing-architecture] Status and future of the Common Printing Dialog (CPD)

peter sikking peter at mmiworks.net
Tue Mar 29 11:36:14 UTC 2016

Richard Hughes wrote:

>> it was just that the parties who would reap all the value of
>> this would not support it with what matters: budget. having
>> paid for a good part of the design work out of my own pocket,
>> that riled me.
>
> I always was a bit confused by this; did you expect the desktop
> environments to take your design work and reference implementation

it became really clear at the beginning of the project, and got
conformed again and again that that maximum the desktop
environments would do for an infrastructure project (large
amount of abstract and complicated work that has to deal with
‘everything for everyone’) like printing was to take delivery
of our design work and reference implementation.

I have literally seen people involved run away from us at
the mention of the words printing dialogs.

> and donate some unknown amount of money to you for your time?

we never asked compensation for services delivered in the past.

we grew, over the years, very weary of the combination of the
demand for shipping that finished reference implementation
(cool, this is not a hobby, or something) and that fact that
everyone is paid to be in linux printing (else quite a few
would not be ’there’)… except for the people working on the
print dialog.

so we decided to change that.

> Surely doing the work and then saying "here, you should use this" to the desktop projects each with design teams of their own was never going to go well.

I have already commented on the willingness to work on this
project. you have to think of assigning multiple people-years
of your very best interaction designers (not the average ones,
not the pixel-pushing designers) to do this.

I would also like to point out that your sentence above exactly
describes a gold-plated pull request; the essence of F/LOSS.

last, I feel that this is anachronistic; ‘desktop projects each
with design teams’ in, say, the core period of 2006–9? that kind
of thing has only come together in a serious, and effective, way
over the last few years—on the GNOME side.

on the KDE side: seriously, interaction designers? ever?
not what I hear through the openUsability channels.

    --ps

        designs interaction for creatives +
        solutions with a wide impact on society

        teacher, mentor, author, lecturer