[Printing-architecture] Status and future of the Common Printing Dialog (CPD)

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:31:02 UTC 2016

On 03/29/2016 09:19 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> In the meantime, the GNOME designers designed something different[1]
> which suited the design style for GNOME, e.g. using GtkSwitch to make
> it easy to use on touchscreens. I think it's completely fine to have
> different dialogs on KDE and GNOME, and even on applications for the
> same desktop as long as they have been designed to be easy to use for
> the specific use cases the application cares about.
>
> Richard
>
> [1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Printing

Great, I like this new design, especially with the Chromium-like preview
integration (preview integration was also was I liked a lot in the CPD).
Also the touchscreen support is important as convertibles (laptops which
double as a tablet) get more common.

And great to see that the GNOME developers are actively working on the
print dialog. I feared that the efforts on it have practically died.

My dream of the times of the CPD was that common dialogs like
Open/Save/Print are always coming from the desktop in use and not from
the app, with the app's call for the dialog let's the GUI library call
the dialog via D-Bus. This should give the user experience of a clean
interface of having the same dialogs for the same tasks.