[Printing-architecture] snmp - average-toner-coverage per page

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon May 9 08:40:09 UTC 2016

Hello,

On May 5 20:53 Predut, Marius wrote (excerpt):
> I don't have access to the document sent for print

Then you cannot analyze the PostScript stream.

> I need a solution to query the counter printer
> and compound somehow the wanted value
> (an estimate toner spent for page)
> For example if I know effective area printed on
> a page I can estimate the coverage percent.
> The printer  have an IP address.
>
> So, do you have/see other solution here ?

I am afraid, I do not see another solution except
to query the network printer itself via SNMP.

I think when you can only access a network printer itself,
you can only query its internal counters/values via SNMP.

I do not know if usual network printers maintain an
internal counter/value that can be used to calculate
the average toner-coverage per page.

Only FYI:
For some possible issues that I noticed regarding SNMP
with network printers, you may have a look at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Accounting

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)