[Printing-architecture] IPP Scanning: GSoC project for a SANE module for IPP-based driverless scanning?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:49:20 UTC 2017

[ Posting back to printing-architecture list ]

On 01/03/2017 02:31 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> <mailto:till.kamppeter at gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

>> Is the IPP scanning standard already an approved standard?
>
> Yes, otherwise it wouldn't have been assigned a PWG standard number...

OK. Thanks.

>> Are there already scanners or multi-function printers which do IPP
>> scanning?
>
> Nobody has come forward to report on this, and I haven't seen any in the
> wild.  It was prototyped by Xerox...

Let's hope they will come out with devices any time soon.

>> Is there a list of models?
>>
>> Is there some free software which emulates an IPP scanner (like the
>> ippserver utility of CUPS emulates an IPP Everywhere printer)?
>
> Not at present.

So a feature request for CUPS' "ippserver" utility would be to make it
emulate a multi-function printer with scanner (possibility to
activate/deactivate the print and scan functions of the virtual IPP
device by command line options). One could have a directory with
printable files on the machine running ippserver and if a client scans
it gets files from this directory.