[Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting code repositories in GIT format

Sahil Arora sahilarora.535 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 01:22:04 UTC 2017

Hi there,
Github vs Gitlab vs Bugzilla vs others is a very important problem
considering the fact that changing version control systems is very
difficult, as we are facing now. Even as I was doing my GSoC project with
OpenPrinting this year, I felt it easier to use Git rather than any other
version control system(VCS).

Here are some points which I think are noteworthy:
1. Most of the modern IDEs and Code Editors support git out of the box. Not
only that, people are now shifting to git aware shells like zsh and fish.
In this case, using git will make the life of a developer far more easier
than any other VCS or bug tracking system.
2. Both Github and Gitlab support continuous integration, which I think is
missing in other tools. It will make the life of a maintainer extremely
easy once these continuous integration / continuous delivery pipelines are
integrated with the code base for the projects we would be working in the
future.

I believe platforms which run on git will be more future proof and
developer friendly than any other platform for code / bug tracking. My
personal preference would be gitlab since provides more features out of the
box even on the free version than github, but it would not matter if it's
github or gitlab unless and until it is git.

Thanks.
--
Sahil Arora