[Printing-architecture] OP Minutes (21 August 2018)

Sahil Arora sahilarora.535 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 16:13:03 UTC 2018

Hi Till,
On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 at 12:37 Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/08/18 08:41, Sahil Arora wrote:
> > Hi,
> > In accordance with the meeting notes, I read that the openprinting
> > website needs to be refreshed. I can probably help in doing that in my
> > free time. I pushed some work initially to the openprinting website, but
> > could not continue due to other commitments, including Google Summer of
> > Code. Now that it is over, I can give some time on the website.
> >
> > Regards.
>
> Sorry for the late answer.
>
> I appreciate your step a lot. What especially needs to get done is:
>
> - Set up a way to easily post news announcements on the front page
> - Tell about driverless printing, how it works, the different standards,
> how to troubleshoot, ... (No need to list all driverless-capable
> printers in the database)
> - Move obsolete stuff to some separate place or remove it (for example
> stuff about LPD, LPRng, ...)
> - Some user help/discussion platform?

With my experience in website designing, I have learnt that it is always a
better option to use a robust framework rather than building from scratch.
For this specific purpose, I searched a bit and found that Docusaurus
<https://docusaurus.io/> is a great tool which might help us make a
maintainable and good-looking website for our purpose. There are many
open-source projects which already use docusaurus for their websites, such
as Babel <https://babeljs.io/> and React
<https://facebook.github.io/react-native/>. I would urge you, and others to
have a look at docusaurus and if that meets the requirement, then we can
deploy a website.

One of the most important points which I think should be concentrated upon
is that the website we aim should be hostable directly via Github pages
<https://pages.github.com/>, since it is free(for open source projects) and
extremely easy to setup.

Best.

--

Sahil Arora
Alumni | Indian Institute of Technology Mandi

Web: https://sahilarora535.github.io
LinkedIn: sahilarora535 <https://www.linkedin.com/in/sahilarora535/>
Ph: +91-8130506047 <+91%2081305%2006047>