[Printing-architecture] OP Minutes (9 January)

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:50:49 UTC 2019

On 14/01/2019 17:51, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
> 2) Avahi upstream maintenance
>
>     Michal and several other people tried to convince Trent to pass
> ownership to someone else (Michal knew about two people, who would like
> to take Avahi project at that time) about two years ago, because Trent
> seemed to do not have time for the project. But Trent did not want to
> give away the upstream project. Currently Michal fixes Avahi issues
> downstream in Fedora/RHEL.
>
> Is there a way how to solve the situation? Cloning the project is not
> optimal, because Trent's github repo is still the first obvious choice
> when you google 'avahi github'.

As Debian does not accept carrying patches distro only with upstream not
taking them and also as it is very awkward if all distros have to carry
the same patch due to upstream not caring, and naturally also an
integral part of the OS needs solid upstream maintainership, this is an
unbearable situation.

It would be great if someone could convince Trent to accept a
co-maintainer who also can directly commit to and also issue releases of
Avahi. If Trent refuses this, I see as the only solution the forking of
the project. This is the usual way how one handles these situations.

The current official Avahi repo is

https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/

so it is under the personal domain of Trent and not a project domain as
for example

https://github.com/openprinting/

where cups-filters, ippusbxd and others are.

So I checked

https://github.com/avahi/

and there is something which has nothing to do with Avahi. We should ask
the owner whether he could move his GitHub activity to another name to
free avahi for us and then we put our fork of Avahi there.

If this does not work out I suggest to host the Avahi fork on GitLab.

Or should we fork Avahi under a new name then?