[Printing-architecture] OP Minutes (9 January)

Zdenek Dohnal zdohnal at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 12:33:13 UTC 2019

On 1/14/19 6:50 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 14/01/2019 17:51, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
>> 2) Avahi upstream maintenance
>>
>>     Michal and several other people tried to convince Trent to pass
>> ownership to someone else (Michal knew about two people, who would like
>> to take Avahi project at that time) about two years ago, because Trent
>> seemed to do not have time for the project. But Trent did not want to
>> give away the upstream project. Currently Michal fixes Avahi issues
>> downstream in Fedora/RHEL.
>>
>> Is there a way how to solve the situation? Cloning the project is not
>> optimal, because Trent's github repo is still the first obvious choice
>> when you google 'avahi github'.
>
> As Debian does not accept carrying patches distro only with upstream
> not taking them and also as it is very awkward if all distros have to
> carry the same patch due to upstream not caring, and naturally also an
> integral part of the OS needs solid upstream maintainership, this is
> an unbearable situation.
I agree. We have the similar policy in RHEL/Fedora, but in reality there
still are several downstream patches due dead/unresponsive upstreams or
for OS specific changes...

> It would be great if someone could convince Trent to accept a
> co-maintainer who also can directly commit to and also issue releases
> of Avahi.
IMO it was other alternative what Michal tried.
> If Trent refuses this, I see as the only solution the forking of the
> project. This is the usual way how one handles these situations.
Michal, was the forking of avahi project in consideration at that time?

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Associate Software Engineer