[Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting News

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 21:26:29 UTC 2019

On 13/02/2019 21:34, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Till,
>
>> On Feb 13, 2019, at 1:14 PM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com
>> <mailto:till.kamppeter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> According to Zdenek, Michal tried this with the co-maintainership already.
>>
>> Seems that Trent is refusing any cooperation or completely ignoring
>> the project.
>>
>> My suggestion is to fork the project and use one of the locations
>> suggested by me, but who should be the upstream maintainer then.
>
> Well, if you fork and put the fork under openprinting, then you can give
> access to the various Linux packagers of Avahi and let them merge any
> bug fixes, etc. there at least.  And then *if* Trent starts maintaining
> Avahi again and accepting pull requests you can easily get those changes
> back to him...

I could do so and I can imagine that the distros will adopt this, but
important is that I am not able to do the full upstream maintainer work.
I cannot swallow all free software projects which are somehow needed for
printing to work but given up upstream.

As interim upstream maintainer of Avahi I could do things like assign
commit rights to distro package maintainers, do releases, perhaps also
merge pull requests, but I cannot move forward the development. Here I
need contributors (for example distro packagers) who create the code (or
mentor a GSoC student on an Avahi project, the slot I could provide).

By the way, who is the original author of Avahi?