[Printing-architecture] RHEL 8 and system-config-printer GUI removal

Zdenek Dohnal zdohnal at redhat.com
Mon May 20 10:43:41 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Red Hat released new RHEL major version, 8, where desktop team and
cockpit team led initiative for removal of GUIs system-config-* projects
like system-config-printer.

These teams decided that GNOME control center for clients and CUPS web
interface (or cockpit using CUPS web interface) for servers are valid
alternatives, so system-config-printer GUI is not needed. The library
for dbus methods used by control-center, scp-dbus-service and udev
subpackage (tools for automatic printer installation) stay in the release.

Because of that development (work priorities were shifted) I would like
to ask if someone would be interested in working in cooperation as
system-config-printer upstream - for GUI part especially, where there is
request for IPP everywhere support. I'm trying to at least maintain the
project, but unfortunately I cannot find much time to implement new
features in the present.

Have a nice day,

Zdenek

--