[Printing-architecture] Upcoming work for OpenPrinting: Printer (Scanner) Applications and IPP System Service

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Nov 8 02:06:31 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 08:14:59PM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> - Quick solution to not loose functionality/hardware support in a Linux
> distribution when the first CUPS without PPD support appears and some
> drivers are not yet converted.

I think this should be the primary beneficiary.  I'm personally not
going to lose any sleep over already-abandoned proprietary drivers that
were never really supported to begin with.  :)

> The preferable way are native IPP applications. Whenever possible,
> especially for new drivers or for drivers which are actively maintained,
> like Gutenprint or HPLIP this is the way to go.

Absolutely.

> Is it not the case that the only backend coming with Gutenprint currently is
> the USB backend for the dye sublimation printers with proprietary USB
> protocol?

Correct, althrough there are also some utilites for administrative
actions on some inkjet families (alignment, cleaning, etc).

> With restructuring you mean here to spin out the functional code of the
> ippsample utilities into a library and provide an API?

Yes, ideally with the cooperation of the ippsample authors. IMO it would
be a win-win for everyone.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
High Springs, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^