[Printing-architecture] Upcoming work for OpenPrinting: Printer (Scanner) Applications and IPP System Service

Andreas Radke andreas.radke at mailbox.org
Fri Nov 8 10:57:51 UTC 2019

Am Thu, 7 Nov 2019 21:06:31 -0500
schrieb Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org>:

> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 08:14:59PM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > - Quick solution to not loose functionality/hardware support in a
> > Linux distribution when the first CUPS without PPD support appears
> > and some drivers are not yet converted.
>
> I think this should be the primary beneficiary.  I'm personally not
> going to lose any sleep over already-abandoned proprietary drivers
> that were never really supported to begin with.  :)

If some big player wants to keep PPD driver support alive they should
keep maintaining a cups 2.3.x fork until the last non-IPP driven device
is dead.

> > The preferable way are native IPP applications. Whenever possible,
> > especially for new drivers or for drivers which are actively
> > maintained, like Gutenprint or HPLIP this is the way to go.
>
> Absolutely.

IPP without any backward compatibility should be the preferred way to
go.

When cups 2.4.x will be out I will probably disable any ppd driven
driver support in Arch. Just to stop people using closed source driver
and to push open standards. Anything else will probably go into our
community maintained unsupported AUR repositories.

-Andy
Arch Linux