[Printing-architecture] Upcoming work for OpenPrinting: Printer (Scanner) Applications and IPP System Service

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Nov 8 13:33:39 UTC 2019

On Fri, Nov 08, 2019 at 11:57:51AM +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
> When cups 2.4.x will be out I will probably disable any ppd driven
> driver support in Arch. Just to stop people using closed source driver
> and to push open standards. Anything else will probably go into our
> community maintained unsupported AUR repositories.

It's not proprietary drivers I'm concerned about -- There's a _huge_
install base of SMB-exported or native networked PCL/PS+PPD printers,
and MajorDistros(tm) can't get away with just dropping legacy CUPS
before there is a JustWorking(tm) alternative folks' existing printers.

The goal ahead is good, and very much achievable, but as Till's original
email laid out, it's a pretty long road and we're not exactly drowning
in manpower...

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
High Springs, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^