[Printing-architecture] Upcoming work for OpenPrinting: Printer (Scanner) Applications and IPP System Service

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Nov 8 17:15:01 UTC 2019

Solomon,

> On Nov 8, 2019, at 8:33 AM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2019 at 11:57:51AM +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:
>> When cups 2.4.x will be out I will probably disable any ppd driven
>> driver support in Arch. Just to stop people using closed source driver
>> and to push open standards. Anything else will probably go into our
>> community maintained unsupported AUR repositories.
>
> It's not proprietary drivers I'm concerned about -- There's a _huge_
> install base of SMB-exported or native networked PCL/PS+PPD printers,
> and MajorDistros(tm) can't get away with just dropping legacy CUPS
> before there is a JustWorking(tm) alternative folks' existing printers.

Even at Apple, we are quite aware that some of our customers depend on SMB printing.  Our focus is on enterprise-class printers (so PostScript and PCL) which can largely be supported using "generic" drivers already, which means something like ippeveprinter (running as the logged-in user, which has the side benefit of cleaning up Kerberos support) to act as the software that talks to the SMB server.