[Printing-architecture] Automatic printer setup with Printer Applications

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 13:51:12 UTC 2021

On 24/02/2021 13:01, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> if I understand it correctly the basic idea behind is
> that for printer setup inside a container
> (I use 'container' as generic name for any isolated environment
>   that has no direct access to the outer world e.g. also chroot)
> udev-configure-printer acts as proxy for outer world access.

No, each container (Printer Application) has access to the printers and
with the two methods I described can observe whether a printer is coming
or going.

The central utility is to avoid that each installed container is queries
a newly connected printer at the same time, overloading the printer,
having race conditions who gets an answer and who not, ... The central
utility would query the newly connected printer once and then talk to
one container to create a print queue.

Note that the containers do are not able to talk to each other to
negotiate which one gets the printer, they even do not know about the
presence of their competitors for a given printer.