[Printing-architecture] Automatic printer setup with Printer Applications

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Wed Feb 24 20:01:10 UTC 2021

Till,

> On Feb 24, 2021, at 2:21 PM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 24/02/2021 18:48, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> ... which is why I suggested you create a registry for printer applications so that you can map a printer to one or more printer applications that you then run "autoadd" on.
>>

> Printer Applications should have a way to query the full list of printers they support by model and also the full list of generic (for example by-PDL) support options they have. So some "Printer Application finder" tool could find whether support for a certain printer is available and then add the printer (with driver "auto") on the right Printer Application.

The "drivers" sub-command from PAPPL almost has everything needed:

testsuite/testmainloop drivers
pwg_2inch-203dpi-black_1                PWG 2inch Label 203DPI Black
pwg_2inch-300dpi-black_1                PWG 2inch Label 300DPI Black
pwg_4inch-203dpi-black_1                PWG 4inch Label 203DPI Black
pwg_4inch-300dpi-black_1                PWG 4inch Label 300DPI Black
pwg_common-300dpi-black_1               PWG Office 300DPI Black
pwg_common-300dpi-sgray_8               PWG Office 300DPI sGray 8-bit
pwg_common-300dpi-srgb_8                PWG Office 300DPI sRGB 8-bit
pwg_common-300dpi-600dpi-black_1        PWG Office 300DPI 600DPI Black
pwg_common-300dpi-600dpi-sgray_8        PWG Office 300DPI 600DPI sGray 8-bit
pwg_common-300dpi-600dpi-srgb_8         PWG Office 300DPI 600DPI sRGB 8-bit
pwg_fail-300dpi-black_1                 PWG Always Fails 300DPI Black

hp-printer-app drivers
hp_deskjet                              HP DeskJet
hp_generic                              Generic PCL
hp_laserjet                             HP LaserJet

We can extend this to report the 1284 device IDs (which will give you make and model separate from the driver description string along with the command set(s)), and/or provide the information in a more machine-friendly format.

Michael Sweet