[Printing-architecture] Automatic printer setup with Printer Applications

Zdenek Dohnal zdohnal at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 08:28:47 UTC 2021

On 2/24/21 1:48 PM, Solomon Peachy wrote:
> BTW, current (RHEL/Fedora) distro practice is to extract the complete
> list of supported printers at "printer driver packaging" time, and use
> that to figure out what package needs to be installed at runtime.  IIRC
> this exclusively uses IEEE1284 IDs.
>
> And as a depressing data point, Gutenprint only has IEEE1284 IDs for
> about 15% of its supported models, and USB VID/PIDs for about 3%.  So a
> mechanism to auto-match based on the Manufacturer & Model strings out of
> the USB or IEEE1284 descriptors would still be a good idea..

Actually that's one of ideas to do in scp library (which is used by
scp-dbus-service and by udev-configure-printer) - allow parsing/parse on
Model/Manufacturer/Nickname strings instead of IEEE1284 strings.

Solomon, I'm sorry if it is an obvious fact, but I don't know it - would
you mind me asking why IEEE1284 IDs aren't used so much in drivers?

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer