[Printing-architecture] Automatic printer setup with Printer Applications

Zdenek Dohnal zdohnal at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 09:54:04 UTC 2021

On 2/25/21 10:24 AM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 25/02/2021 09:52, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
>> Sounds reasonable, except for crying in beer! That's never reasonable
>> around here :D
>>
>> So udev-configure-printer would:
>>
>> 1) check if there is a USB device - if it is IPP-over-USB and isn't in
>> allow list (probably there will be devices which will present themselves
>> as IPP-over-USB, but it will be broken, so they want to fall back to
>> printer application...), break out
>>
>> 2) find a printer application which supports the device
>>
>> 3) if it is not installed, install it - this will need to be updated -
>> currently PackageKit is used in scp lib, but PackageKit is going away in
>> the future [1] - I heard there is some work in DNF regarding PackageKit
>> functionality, but I'm not sure how far they are. Not mentioning it is a
>> distro specific package manager, not sure if other distros have already
>> some alternative to PackageKit.
>>

> Here we should not only consider distro-specific RPM and DEB packages
> but also distro-independent packaging, like Snap, as Printer
> Applications should also serve for hardware manufacturers to easily
> create distro-independent driver packages, one for all.
>
> Central repositories, like the Snap Store would need some
> hardware-signature-based search, see
>
> https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/hardware-associated-snaps-snap-store-search-by-hardware-signature/

I don't know about programming Snap installation from an application
right now, I'll search for some manuals. If you have any links about
programming it, please send them my way.

>> 4) auto-add the device to a printer application - scp lib for adding
>> print queues is now for CUPS only and written in Python, so it will need
>> to be rewritten in C/Go using PAPPL.
>>

> Zdenek, could you update your GSoC project idea if needed?
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2021-openprinting-projects#turn_the_scp-dbus-service_methods_-_getbestdrivers_and_missingexecutables_-_of_system-config-printer_into_c

IMO it can stay as it is - I wouldn't like to update the GSoC project
with more tasks and make it more complex, since the last GSoC project
wasn't implemented.

udev-configure-printer can use this project once it is implemented, so
IMO it is not a good idea to put udev-configure-printer there right now
since dbus-service is not implemented yet.

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer