[Printing-architecture] Automatic printer setup with Printer Applications

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:24:58 UTC 2021

On 25/02/2021 14:33, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Actually, I don't think you're going to find as many broken IPP-USB printers as you think since all but the first couple HP models  implemented IPP-USB to get AirPrint certification, which means it got tested extensively... :)

When I see bug reports on OpenPrinting or Ubuntu on non-working
IPP-over-USB printers they are usually HP, probably these old printers
which you mean.

> Up to you, but I would expect some user confirmation before installing any software on my computer...

Simply some pop-up like "Found Acme LaserStar 1000+. Install Acme
Printer Application?" would be enough.

> Why?  The printer application can just be run with the "autoadd" sub-command, no need to link against PAPPL for that.

Or if you do not want to call an external executable via command line,
do IPP with libcups to create the queue (with driver selection "auto").