[Printing-architecture] Automatic printer setup with Printer Applications

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Sat Feb 27 21:07:48 UTC 2021

Solomon,

> On Feb 26, 2021, at 7:28 AM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:
> Meanwhile, as this email thread demonstrates, someone still has to write
> the "driver" for a given printer, and to be honest IPP-Everywhere makes
> this task _much harder_.

For sure, if you start from scratch.  But if you have a ready-made wrapper (i.e. PAPPL) then you can just focus on the driver bits.

> (A related recent trend I've seen are printers that only claim to
> support printing via a manufacturer-supplied smartphone app.  I don't
> know if they rely on IPP under the hood, but even if they do there's no
> guarantee it's standards-compliant IPP/Everywhere...)

I've seen some of those polaroid-style 3x2 or 3x3 photo printers, and they use a custom Bluetooth protocol.  I haven't seen a regular desktop printer that can only be used via an app in many years... (fortunately)

Michael Sweet