[Printing-architecture] Mopria has published the eSCL protocol specification

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Tue Apr 20 16:42:55 UTC 2021

Till,

I think I've made my position clear.  Until the industry adopts IPP Scan, there is little point in pushing for it, and eSCL is what new MFPs implement.

Andrew Mitchell (HP) tried to do an IPP Scan before AirPrint adopted eSCL, and then a couple years later Pete Zehler finished the current IPP Scan to convince Mopria to use IPP for scanning instead of eSCL, but since Apple had already adopted eSCL for AirPrint it was a losing battle.

There are new discussions between Microsoft and the PWG concerning cloud scanning, and since they adopted IPP for their Universal Print Service (part of the cloud-based Azure ActiveDirectory work) they may decide they want to use IPP Scan for that, but things are so early in discussions I wouldn't keep your hopes up!

IMHO our efforts are best focused on supporting eSCL.  If, in the future, IPP Scan gets a place at the table then we can support that protocol as well.