[Printing-architecture] Human-readable strings for standard IPP options/choices/attributes/propertirs

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 17:46:09 UTC 2021

Hi,

while I was looking through the code of the PPD file generators in CUPS
and cups-filters for creating CUPS queues for driverless IPP printers I
wa thinking about where the human-readable strings for the PPD files
(and also for print dialogs) come from and whether one could also
generate PPD files translated into non-English languages.

I have also seen that printers supply human-readable strings for options
and choices via the URL listed in the printer-strings-uri IPP attribute,
but these strings are only for the options and choices which are not IPP
or PWG standard.

Seeing this I thought that the wide majority of IPP attributes, options,
choices, and properties ar IPP/PWG standardized, and so they should
always be well served by the same human-readable strings, independent of
operating system, desktop, or other client software being used.

So it would be great to have some central repository for these strings
for any operating system and application software to use when working
with IPP printers. Is there something like that? Was susch a thing
already discussed at the PWG? Or is every OS or application developer
supposed to "invent" his own, personal set of human-readable strings for
standard IPP attributes?