[Printing-architecture] Make use of extended color spaces on IPP printers

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri May 7 18:52:40 UTC 2021

TL;DR: Some doubts about supporting extended color depth and color spaces:
  - How to discover if a page in a PDF is 8/16-bit color/grayscale
    sRGB/Adobe RGB?
  - How important is Adobe RGB for printing? If a printer advertises that
    it supports it, is it worthwhile for us to support jobs in Adobe RGB?
  - How is all this influenced by the "print-content-optimize" setting?

I want to make it possible to make use of the support for extended color
spaces of driverless IPP printers (or Printer Applications).

IPP allows the user to only select from the following color modes for a
job (list taken from PAPPL, actually available modes advertised in the
"print-color-mode-supported" IPP attribute):

   'auto'               - Automatic color/monochrome print mode
   'auto-monochrome'    - Automatic monochrome/process mono print mode
   'bi-level'           - B&W (threshold) print mode
   'color'              - Full color print mode
   'monochrome'         - Grayscale print mode using 1 color
   'process-monochrome' - Grayscale print mode using multiple colors

On mono/grayscale printers there is no 'auto-monochrome' and 'color'

Printers support some extended color space modes, at least for raster
input, as advertised in the "urf-supported" attribute for Apple Raster,
and the "pwg-raster-document-type-supported" attribute for PWG Raster.
The extensions are:

  - 16 bit per color instead of 8 bit per color in color or grayscale
  - Adobe RGB instead of sRGB in color

These extensions should be used depending on the input data from the
client and depending on the "print-content-optimize" setting for the job.

Now I am looking into implementing this in cups-filters.

To control the use of the extensions based on the input data we need to
find out the color depth of the input and also if it is perhaps Adobe
RGB instead of sRGB.

For raster input data (Apple Raster or PWG Raster this info should be in
the raster header and we should simply take care to keep color space and
depth on any needed conversion, only exception is to convert to
grayscale or (dithered) bi-level if the user requests it via
print-color-mode attribute.

As the client knows the printer attributes we expect that it only sends
raster data of (extended) color spaces which we support.

More complicated is if for example CUPS receives a PDF job from a user
application, as here CUPS has to convert the PDF into the best possible
raster format for the printer. If the printer understands PDF, we pass
on the input PDF (only apply pdftopdf filter) and assume that the
printer to print it in the best possible quality.

So being left with converting PDF to raster, here we would need to know
which color space and color depth the resulting raster data needs to
have so that the PDF's content is best reproduced but no unneeded
overhead is produced. To do so, we need to know of the color depth and
color space of the graphical elements of the PDF to get the maximum one
for each page (and naturally we should only produce raster which the
printer supports).

So my question to the PDF experts here (Jay? Vikrant? Sahil?), how can I
determine from a page in a PDF file

- which maximum color depth is needed to reproduce it?

- is the PDF page sRGB or Adobe RGB?

For raster-only PDFs (coming from a photo manager/editor or a scanner,
or PCLm) it is probably trivial, and one could make this working in
pclmtoraster.

More complex it gets for actual raster graphics. Or does color depth in
the vector graphics of PDFs not exist and gets only introduced with
rasterization?

And how relevant is actually Adobe RGB for printing? I assume that ALL
driverless IPP printers do sRGB and so if the input file is sRGB one
lets get it printed in sRGB.

But for some reason some printers support printing Adobe RGB (and for
the JPEG output of EVERY digital camera you can choose between sRGB and
Adobe RGB). So if the input PDF is Adobe RGB we need to discover that
and take care that the raster is also Adobe RGB. I hope I am right.

And how is all this influenced by the setting of "print-content-optimize"?

    Till