[Printing-architecture] Make use of extended color spaces on IPP printers

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri May 7 22:11:51 UTC 2021

On 07/05/2021 21:53, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> TL;DR: Some doubts about supporting extended color depth and color spaces:
>> - How to discover if a page in a PDF is 8/16-bit color/grayscale
>>    sRGB/Adobe RGB?
>
> So there are ways to do this, but none are pretty... :/

Are they somewhere documented? Is there sample code? Is it worthwhile to
implement it? Does implementing it take less new lines in cups-filters
than cups-filters already has?

If it is too complicated, I think the most intuitive solution, at least
for the high color depth is to trigger it by print-quality=high.

WDYT, would it also make sense to also switch to Adobe RGB (if available
on the printer) if the user sets print-quality=high?

>> - How important is Adobe RGB for printing? If a printer advertises that
>>    it supports it, is it worthwhile for us to support jobs in Adobe RGB?
>
> Very important, since a lot of cameras use AdobeRGB (or provide an option for it) for an expanded color gamut.  And if you are going from Display P3 (which is another one you'll see a lot of from iPhones/iPads) it is even more important since sRGB is a really small color space.

For printing photos from photo applications the incoming PDF is probably
raster-only and could be treated with pclmtoraster and so an easy way to
determine whether it is AdobeRGB, but if it is an actual vector PDF it
gets more difficult. And what does one do with Display P3? Is it
mentioned in PWG/IPP/Apple Raster/PWG Raster/Mopria? Is it well known,
is there a free solution to convert it to Adobe RGB?

>> - How is all this influenced by the "print-content-optimize" setting?
>
> Two different things - certainly the 'photo' value might be hint that AdobeRGB/deep color is useful/important, but I'd also say that "print-quality" can also feature in this decision, e.g., 'high' (5) print quality might indicate deep color is preferred.

OK, probably I will trigger it by the high quality setting. Important is
to know whether I can simply switch to Adobe RGB (only if printer has
Adobe RGB) regardless of the incoming job and the printer does always
the right thing (and not try to print sRGB unconverted as Adobe RGB or
uses a conversion with significant quality loss).

> So print-color-mode and pwg-raster-document-type-supported/urf-support do two different things.  "print-color-mode" is a rendering intent (color, grayscale, bi-level, etc.) while the others list the actual color spaces and bit depths that are supported.

OK.