[Printing-architecture] Make use of extended color spaces on IPP printers

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Sun May 9 02:54:49 UTC 2021

Solomon,

> On May 8, 2021, at 10:24 PM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:
> Excellent.  But I'm thinking more of folks trying to print something
> from a random app on their their iOS or Android devices.  Having a rich
> standard doesn't help when the client implementations are all
> differently brain-dead. :)

Well, at least on iOS you'll find that the whole system is wired up for ICC-based color management, just as on macOS.  As for Android, I heartily agree!

>> Second, it isn't a weakness to support well-known RGB color spaces
>> along with a device RGB color space.
>
> I'm sorry, that's not what I was trying to say.
>
> The "weakness" is that the PWG raster format doesn't have a way to
> self-describe what "Device RGB" means, unlike more standalone image
> formats (eg jpeg, png, tiff) that have a standard method to embed ICC
> profiles.

PWG Raster (and Apple Raster) are "last-mile" formats.  The color space is explicitly defined by the Printer (sometimes with ICC profiles, particularly for Device RGB), and the Client is responsible for providing raster data in a supported color space.