[Printing-architecture] Make use of extended color spaces on IPP printers

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Sun May 9 08:20:57 UTC 2021

On 09/05/2021 04:54, Michael Sweet wrote:

> PWG Raster (and Apple Raster) are "last-mile" formats.  The color space is explicitly defined by the Printer (sometimes with ICC profiles, particularly for Device RGB), and the Client is responsible for providing raster data in a supported color space.

If the printer supports the following (according to urf-supported):

- sGray (does this come from "W8"?)
- DeviceGray
- sRGB
- AdobeRGB
- DeviceRGB

What does this exactly mean? I asume that Raster input files need to
match one of these color spaces and in the Raster header the actually
used color space must be specified. Am I right?

Now for DeviceRGB (and DeviceGray) I assume that here the data is
required in the printer's native color space. Am I right? But can I do
true driverless printing with this? Can I download the printer's ICC
profiles from the printer? And if yes, by which URL?