[Printing-architecture] Make use of extended color spaces on IPP printers

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Sun May 9 13:41:38 UTC 2021

Till,

> On May 9, 2021, at 4:20 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 09/05/2021 04:54, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> PWG Raster (and Apple Raster) are "last-mile" formats.  The color space is explicitly defined by the Printer (sometimes with ICC profiles, particularly for Device RGB), and the Client is responsible for providing raster data in a supported color space.
>
> If the printer supports the following (according to urf-supported):
>
> - sGray (does this come from "W8"?)

Yes.

> - DeviceGray
> - sRGB
> - AdobeRGB
> - DeviceRGB
>
> What does this exactly mean? I asume that Raster input files need to match one of these color spaces and in the Raster header the actually used color space must be specified. Am I right?

Correct.

> Now for DeviceRGB (and DeviceGray) I assume that here the data is required in the printer's native color space. Am I right? But can I do true driverless printing with this? Can I download the printer's ICC profiles from the printer? And if yes, by which URL?

So printers that support device RGB and device gray also support the "printer-icc-profiles" attribute, which allows you to determine which profile to use for a particular combination of Job Template attributes.  In some cases a single profile is reported that represents the printer's internal working color space.