[Printing-architecture] Make use of extended color spaces on IPP printers

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Sun May 9 19:26:09 UTC 2021

On 09/05/2021 15:41, Michael Sweet wrote:

>> Now for DeviceRGB (and DeviceGray) I assume that here the data is required in the printer's native color space. Am I right? But can I do true driverless printing with this? Can I download the printer's ICC profiles from the printer? And if yes, by which URL?
>
> So printers that support device RGB and device gray also support the "printer-icc-profiles" attribute, which allows you to determine which profile to use for a particular combination of Job Template attributes.  In some cases a single profile is reported that represents the printer's internal working color space.

Unfortunately, this is not always the case. My HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 has
the following attributes

urf-supported (1setOf keyword) =
CP1,MT1-2-8-9-10-11,PQ3-4-5,RS300-600,SRGB24,OB10,W8,DEVW8,DEVRGB24,ADOBERGB24,DM3,FN3,IS1-2,V1.4pwg-raster-document-type-supported
(1setOf keyword) = sgray_8,srgb_8,adobe-rgb_8,rgb_8

but no "printer-icc-profiles" attribute. So for Apple Raster it supports
Device Gray and Device RGB and for PWG Raster input it supports at least
Device RGB ("rgb_8"?), but there is no information about how to download
the appropriate ICC profiles from the printer, meaning that these device
color spaces are unusable for true driverless printing. Am I right?