[Printing-architecture] Make use of extended color spaces on IPP printers

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue May 25 17:43:55 UTC 2021

I have now committed my first approach of auto-selection of the color
space and depth in cups-filters:

Here is the commit:

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/commit/b06d489

The basic principles are:

- Depending on the output format (PWG or Apple Raster) the printer IPP
   attribute pwg-raster-document-type-supported or urf-supported is used
   to determine which color space/color depth combos are available.
- A color space of sGray, sRGB, AdobeRGB, Device... is selected
   depending on input data, presence of a custom ICC profile, desire to
   print in color, gray, or bi-level (print-color-mode job attribute).
- If the requested color space is available it gets selected, otherwise
   the default color space is chosen: For color printing (or if no mono
   color space is available) AdobeRGB if available otherwise sRGB, for
   mono printing sGray.
- Within the selected color space the lowest color depth (usually 8 bit
   per color) is chosen, if print-quality is set to "high" the highest
   color depth (16-bit if available).

My commit implements this only for the ghostscript() filter function
(gstoraster CUPS filter) for now, but commonly used code is in separater
library function so other filter functions are easy to update, too.

This is implemented for both using the filter function PPD-less, based
on printer and job IPP attributes and as CUPS filter with a PPD file
generated by the PPD generator of libcupsfilters (for example via the
"driverless" utility) for a driverless IPP printer.

The generated PPD files are appropriately changed, by including both
pwg-raster-document-type-supported and urf-supported IPP attributes of
the printer as PPD attributes ("*cupsPwgRasterDocumentTypeSupported" and
"*cupsUrfSupported") and by the "ColorModel" option now mirroring the
print-color-mode IPP attribute, listing the choices from
print-color-mode-supported, and not including pseudo-PostScript code any
more as these parameters now get auto-selected by the filter. Formerly,
the PPD generator created one "ColorModel" choice for each color
space/depth combo for manual selection.

The ghostscript() filter function currently does not pre-check the
content of incoming PDF files for best choice of color space, the color
space requested from the color space selector function
(cupsRasterSetColorSpace() in cupsfilters/raster.c) is always the
default color space. Only if there is a custom color profilea Device...
color space is requested.

Ghostscript is called with both "-dUsePDFX3Profile" and
"-sOutputICCProfile=..." where Ghostscript's standard ICC profiles for
sGray, sRGB, and AdobeRGB are used if no custom profile is specified.

There is most probably room for improvement, any hints are welcome.

Also more filter functions (...toraster) will be moved over.

    Till

On 07/05/2021 20:52, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> [...]
> determine from a page in a PDF file
>
> - which maximum color depth is needed to reproduce it?
>
> - is the PDF page sRGB or Adobe RGB?
>
> For raster-only PDFs (coming from a photo manager/editor or a scanner,
> or PCLm) it is probably trivial, and one could make this working in
> pclmtoraster.
>
> More complex it gets for actual raster graphics. Or does color depth in
> the vector graphics of PDFs not exist and gets only introduced with
> rasterization?
>
> And how relevant is actually Adobe RGB for printing? I assume that ALL
> driverless IPP printers do sRGB and so if the input file is sRGB one
> lets get it printed in sRGB.
>
> But for some reason some printers support printing Adobe RGB (and for
> the JPEG output of EVERY digital camera you can choose between sRGB and
> Adobe RGB). So if the input PDF is Adobe RGB we need to discover that
> and take care that the raster is also Adobe RGB. I hope I am right.
>
> And how is all this influenced by the setting of "print-content-optimize"?
>
>     Till
>

> On 28/04/2021 13:43, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> Till,
>>
>> With IPP you *don't* select color spaces as user options as those are
>> artifacts of the file format and not part of the job ticket.
>>
>> Realistically, the best thing to do is use the
>> "print-content-optimize" value ('auto', 'graphic', 'photo', 'text',
>> 'text-and-graphic') and/or the original document format (e.g. printing
>> an image means default to photo mode, etc.) and then (if sending
>> raster data) choosing an appropriate
>> "pwg-raster-document-type-supported"/"urf-supported" value (which is
>> where you will find the color spaces and bit depths that the printer
>> supports). The current CUPS PPD generator uses these to generate
>> ColorModel choices, which is how we let the user choose a color mode
>> today.
>>
>> In the future we should hide that implementation detail (maybe exposed
>> under "expert controls"?) since it is confusing for a lot of users.
>> Moreover, it is possible for a smart PDF RIP will detect the kind of
>> colors being used in a PDF document and choose an appropriate raster
>> color space and bit depth when rendering a page.
>>
>> I know there are going to be people that scream, "I need to have
>> absolute control over every aspect of my printing!"  But that kind of
>> control doesn't belong in the printing system or in the main UI - it
>> belongs in the Printer Application (or printer, in the case of an IPP
>> Everywhere/AirPrint printer) because those are device
>> process/calibration settings that are explicitly *not* part of the IPP
>> model.  IPP has always been about specifying intent (*what* you want)
>> and not process (*how* to do it).
>>

>>> On Apr 28, 2021, at 4:17 AM, Till Kamppeter
>>> <till.kamppeter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have found one problem. For the color modes IPP has only the
>>> following choices:
>>>
>>> "print-color-mode" = "Print Color Mode";
>>> "print-color-mode.auto" = "Automatic";
>>> "print-color-mode.auto-monochrome" = "Auto Monochrome";
>>> "print-color-mode.bi-level" = "Text";
>>> "print-color-mode.color" = "Color";
>>> "print-color-mode.highlight" = "Highlight";
>>> "print-color-mode.monochrome" = "Monochrome";
>>> "print-color-mode.process-bi-level" = "Process Text";